CASA volunteers advocate for abused or neglected children, to make sure they don’t get lost in the overburdened legal and social service system. Volunteers typically handle one case at a time, stay with each case until it is closed, or until the child is placed in a safe, permanent home. For many of the children we serve, their CASA volunteer will be the one constant adult presence in their lives.
Know the Facts:
- A report of child abuse is made every 10 seconds.
- More than four children die every day as a result of child abuse.
- Approximately 70% of the children who die from child abuse are under the age of four.
- More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way.
- Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, and within all religions and levels of education.